Friday, August 29, 2008

Perfecting my spot landings

A few days ago I took the 1-26 out for a couple of more flights. I've got about 10 flights in it now and am really starting to like it. It is very responsive and keeps you on top of coordinating the ailerons and rudder.

On one day, I circled at about 45 degrees in light lift for 10 minutes or so neither gaining or losing but just holding my own. If you've never done this before, 45 degrees feels like you are practically laying over on your side but in fact you can bank over quite a bit farther, although you have to fly faster to keep from stalling.

The purpose of circling tightly is to stay inside small columns of lift. If they are larger, you don't have to bank quite so steeply. My circles were good practice for trying to circle at a steady airspeed while keeping all of the controls coordinated.

I'm feeling more confident in the 1-26 as well. I've been concentrating on putting the glider down at a spot of my choosing, at the right airspeed, and then stopping it before a preset point. This is a useful skill at all times, but particularly if you have to land off airport. You want to be able to pick a spot and put it down without rolling too far.

I've experimented with opening the spoilers full as I round out for the flare. As one of the more experienced pilots predicted, it works quite well. The glider slows down and sets down, but not too firmly.

I've been traveling on business quite a bit lately and am hoping to get more time in the 1-26 in the next few days.



No comments: