Monday, August 10, 2009

It's all good now

I've been flying as much as I can, concentrating on learning how to put the ASK-21 on a spot that I want it to land on. One thing I've concentrated on is how to land from what is obviously 'too high'. This allows me to more easily control the glider when the risk of an undershoot is greater - like on a landing to the North.

I don't land all that close to the flight line, but I'm always touching down at the mid field taxiway, which is where I've been aiming. I've decided that I don't care if my landings require a lengthy push back to the flight line. What I care about is landing the glider where *I* want to land it and doing that consistently. Later on, I'll be able to gauge it more accurately and I can move that point back while still having plenty of room for error.

I've also been concentrating on holding my airspeed and turning in 30-35 degree circles. I've been doing some practice at steeper angles of 45 degrees as well. I'm getting the hang of it and am starting to be able to tell when the airspeed is increasing without having to look at the gauge. I'm still working on it, but I am improving.


I've done well in the last 8 or 10 takeoffs at keeping the wings level while compensating for crosswinds. No major bobbles or swerves recently and I'm pleased that I'm doing better at this. Gotta stay on top of it, though.

Awaiting takeoff at Harris Hill

I'm beginning to fly passengers with me. Bryan Riegal flew with me the other day on a pair of flights and took some pictures. No lift that day, so you couldn't stay up, but my oh my the view was nice and it was a perfect early evening set of cruises.

Behind the tow plane climbing to altitude


Your moment of Zen. Releasing from the tow plane to soar.




No comments: