Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Can the Fall get any worse?

Good grief! The weather has been positively sub-optimal for weeks. And when it has been cooperative, I've been busy! Looks like this year's flying season will end with a whimper rather than a bang.

I did manage to get a beautiful flight in about a week and a half ago. It wasn't soaring weather but it was reasonably calm with about a 5 knot crosswind. I hadn't really flown in much of anything but dead calm or nearly direct headwinds all summer. Not to worry, all went well and the air was almost eerie smooth.

I managed to arrest my descent along the ridge and fell in behind one of our other club members as he went by and headed out over the valley. I flew minimum sink while he must have been flying best L/D (lift vs. drag). The fall trees were beautiful along the nearby hillsides with some stands of trees farther along than others, making the whole landscape look like a spattered paint canvas.

I worked my way down the ridge staying close to Harris Hill and then turned back around behind him as I was a little higher than he was. He made it look easy as he put it down in the first 1/3 of the field. I carried a bit more altitude for reasons that are obvious from my previous posts and landed beyond him, still stopping well before the pavement edge.

I've got one more opportunity to fly this weekend before we stop regular ops. Weather forecast is partly crummy with scattered crumminess changing to totally crummy later one.

No comments: