Monday, May 14, 2012

Taking Another Step in my Soaring Journey

"Can I speak to you for a minute?"  It was Peter Smith, the Director of the National Soaring Museum and a good soaring friend.

Turns out the topic was rather interesting.  The National Soaring Museum is operated separately from Harris Hill Soaring Corporation but the two are intertwined in terms of interests.  Harris Hill Soaring has members on the board of the NSM and NSM has a position on the Harris Hill board.

The opportunity was to become a board member of the National Soaring Museum.  I was flattered and not sure exactly what the duties were.  While I am a board member at Harris Hill, I don't know the day to day challenges at the NSM.  I hesitated, then began to ask a few questions.  I told Peter I would get back to him.

Later, as I thought it through, I decided I'd accept.  I'd been toying with the idea of not running for the board at Harris Hill this Fall because I'm already the webmaster and the duty scheduler PLUS I've been running the experimental forecast product, RASP for this summer.  It's quite a bit of effort and I thought I'd take a break for a short while.

This seems like an opportunity to help out in a different way.  Hopefully I'll find a way to fit in and contribute.  It's another step in my soaring journey.

No comments: