Monday, September 24, 2012

Discus checkout - not yet!

The best laid plans...  Well, it was rainy and windy on the Saturday I was to be checked out in the Discus, so I rescheduled for the Wednesday night training session.  Unfortunately, due to tow plane and instructor availability, it was also a no-go.  As was this weekend when the weather was rather fickle.

It's typical of the Fall season of soaring.  Even clear days will often have some wind and fewer thermals or lower clouds.  I've come to recognize that the real meat of the soaring season lies in the Spring/Summer months.

I'll reschedule for this Wednesday, perhaps.  If not, I'm the on-duty pilot for commercial operations next Sunday afternoon.  Maybe I can get the checkout done either Saturday or Sunday morning.

It's not like I'm not flying.  I was comm pilot on the 16th and am up again next week.  Getting a checkout this Fall is fine but I won't be able to fly a whole lot before it gets cold, anyhow.  It's more for getting a good start when Spring soaring comes around next year.

In the meantime, I've managed to achieve one of my biggest goals - learn how to cross country soar this summer.  I'll go into next season with much more confidence and start my solo cross country career then.

No comments: