Sunday, July 18, 2010

Plopping it in

Okay, I've officially gone from one side of the spectrum to the other.  Instead of bouncing when landing, I'm now firmly attacking the ground with a 'PLOP'! in crosswinds.

This is actually good news.  I've over corrected in the opposite direction.  Which means the answer lies somewhere in between.  I'm determined to find it.  My landings, while safe and acceptable, are kind of embarrassing.

I've seen this before with my flying.  I've got quite a few flights in on the ASK-21 now and I can handle it pretty well.  So, I've got enough experience with it that I OUGHT to know better but there's some kind of mental block associated with crosswind landings.

It's worth noting that I'm expanding the envelope of flying in the 21, also.  I've carefully expanded my crosswind experience by flying in stronger crosswinds in it, a few knots at a time.  So, the situation I'm referring to is one where the winds are higher or gusty and not blowing down the runway.  So it is a little more challenging to begin with, but I'd like to make it smoother.

No comments: