Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dreaming of cutting the strings...

I have...had...two goals for my flying this summer.  First, I wanted to get my tailwheel transition signoff  so I could learn how to fly as a tow pilot for our operation.  We're quite shy on tow pilots and...well...there's no reason I can't operate an aircraft with an engine.  I am, after all, certified for Aircraft Single Engine, Land (ASEL).  It's just been a while.  Plus, I sort of have a distrust of aircraft with engines, now that I've been flying aircraft without them for quite some time!

Anyhow, that goal is on hold after an incident that caused our club's Super Cub to depart the runway in gusty conditions (I was not part of this incident) and end up with quite a bit of damage.  It's out of commission for quite some time, likely the balance of our flying season at the very least.

The object of my desire - the Schempp-Hirth Discus
On to my second goal - get certified in the single seat Discus and learn to fly cross country.

They call it 'cutting the apron strings' and it means flying out of gliding distance from your home airport and often from any airport.  It is something that I've been trying to prepare for since I got my glider rating.

First step - fly with one of our cross country instructors in the Duo Discus, a two seat version of the Discus.  We are so fortunate to have world class pilots who will instruct you in the technique of cross country flying at Harris Hill and I will take advantage of that.  Once I learn the basic techniques, I'll get a checkout in the single seat Discus and the fly in tandem with another cross country pilot -me in the Discus, him in his glider.  I'll follow him to see how he does it and hopefully learn enough to begin learning on my own.

I also have the Condor glider simulator to work with.  It's a great tool for learning how to cross country soar.  I've ordered rudder pedals for my computer setup and will start giving it a workout.

I am, as everyone is when they start pushing out beyond the airport, excited and nervous.  I've done two things to try and prepare for this phase of my flying.  First, I've worked and worked at flying thermal circles at a steady airspeed and at least 45 degree bank angle.  It is critical to know how to quickly center and take advantage of a thermal when you encounter it.  I'm better than I was and I think I'm good enough to go out with an instructor and fly cross country.

Second, I've been learning about spotting lift conditions and cross country considerations.  I've read Helmut Reichman's excellent book, "Cross Country Soaring" on the advice of instructors and there is a LOT of information in there that can help you stay aloft.  I need to re-read it as I begin to fly cross country.

It's going to be a little while before I can get started, though.  Right now, my real-life workload just won't let up and has conspired to keep me from being flexible enough to pick a day to take off for training, a prime requirement for a good training start.  Hopefully, that will let up a bit soon but I've been thinking that for the past month and it hasn't happened.

It's killing me, too.  One of my soaring friends recently cut the strings and flew away on his first 150 mile triangle and sent back incredible pictures of him with a huge grin on his face as he circled at cloudbase.  We both started flying around the same time and our flight 'careers' have progressed at roughly the same pace.  I was surprised how much those pictures made me realize that I have to get REAL about making my transition to this new level of flying.  I'm not sure it is what I'll do ALL the time, but it is something that will make me a much better pilot, whether I fly locally or not.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the trip and I'll keep posting here about the journey.

No comments: