Wednesday, April 7, 2010

And he's Current!

At today's Wednesday night training session, I completed my 3rd flight in the past ninety days, making me FAA current and legal to carry passengers on flights. I've completed my annual safety check ride, I'm current, and the season has just begun. Life is good.

Today, the winds were pretty strong out of the south all day but were predicted to change to the northwest and drop to under 10 knots. That's not exactly what happened, though.

When I arrived at Harris Hill, the winds were out of the northwest alright and dropping but after I got into the glider, the windsock went limp. I took off in what must have been a lull. Upon getting airborne, it was clear that the atmosphere was unstable with gusts and bumps all the way to altitude that got gustier rather than smoother as is usually the case.

I headed upwind looking for any signs of lift but when I found it, it was choppy and not very large. I flew 45 degree circles trying to stay inside it but finally decided that they weren't thermals after all but instead were gusts being blown up after hitting the ridge below.

The wind switched all the way around to the Northeast after I got to altitude and picked up again, necessitating a North landing with an eastern crosswind component and gusts. I stayed close on downwind, carried some extra altitude into the base leg, keeping it quite close as well, and turned onto final. I was determined to pick out and land on a specific spot, not too far down the runway but not too close from the threshold and get it stopped before the taxiway.

I nailed it. I did let my airspeed slip a bit on final but got it back to approach speed and put the glider precisely on the spot I wanted to land on, kept wings level, and kept flying it all the way to the stop, easily finishing before I got to the taxiway. I let the brake off, coasted onto the taxiway and stopped. Beautiful. A nice confidence builder.

So, now I'm ready to fly. I need some lift, first of course! The weather isn't too promising this weekend, but we'll find a day soon to practice thermal centering and climbing. I've been reading Kai Gertsen's Cross Country Guide and it is jam packed with practical advice. I'm preparing for cross country training this year and expect to be a much better pilot by the end of the season.

No comments: