Friday, June 26, 2009

Back in the Saddle

After some thought and analysis, I knew I couldn't let too much time go by before flying again, so I headed out to Harris Hill on Wednesday.

The conditions were perfect for ridge soaring with about 10 knots of wind right down the runway. However, that wind direction is also conducive to causing sink on the southern end of the runway. Just like what happened when I landed out. I made myself go and fly anyhow even though I had some minor butterflies before takeoff.

There was no reason for this, of course. I can handle the airplane in these conditions and I have many times. I know what to look out for, what type of approach to fly and why. If I waited any longer, I would be making it into a much bigger deal than it really is.

Everyone has been very supportive and complimentary of my decision to land in the emergency field. I talked over the events with several of our instructors and the main feedback I've gotten from pretty much everyone is, "Been there, done that, had it happen to me before. Glad you didn't wreck".

So, I saddled up and took off for a 30 minute flight over the hills, staying unusually close to Harris Hill the whole time and anxiously watching the variometer for unusual sink. I finally relaxed after about 15 minutes and soared the ridge for awhile until turning into the downwind for landing.

I told myself I would learn how to land with the pattern a little tighter than I'd been flying it and with more altitude on final than I had been carrying. I completed my turn to base leg before cracking the spoilers and I was pretty high. I put then all the way out and made my turn to final. With full spoilers out, I was able to descend to precisely the spot that I was aiming for, touching down and rolling out as I had planned.

It was a good confidence builder and I'm ready to soar again - maybe Saturday. Dr. Jack says it may be a good day...

No comments: