Monday, June 29, 2009

Even though I've gone out and flown the 21 since I landed out, I'm still a little jumpy about it.

I'm very comfortable with the decision I made but the inevitable self doubts creep in. "Maybe I should have continued the approach. I might have made it." I need to erase those because I made the right decision for a guy with a grand total of about 8 flights in a new type operating a brand new $117k airplane.

The conversations around the field would be a lot different if I'd put it into the trees or damaged it trying to land. I'd probably quit flying I'd feel so bad. Not to mention my wife would have a thing or two to say about it.

It's all good. I fly for fun and this week I'm not doing too much of it because the International Vintage Sailplane Meet (IVSM) is at Harris Hill! There's about 30 sailplanes that are 50 years or older up there and yesterday was a continuous stream of odd and unusual airplanes taking off.

I worked a regular staff position in the cash office, selling glider ride tickets and tow tickets to the pilots. Fortunately, the office has a great view of the field and you could see everything. It was practically a carnival atmosphere.

After I was off duty, I hung out for awhile watching the air show. At one point, about 7 gliders were circling in the same thermal. As one of our members remarked, "That's quite different from the regular 'fiberglass' cloud that you normally see." Indeed.

I'm working out there Friday and will try to take some pics for the blog.

No comments: