Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Into the breach

Well, it's been a whirlwind since I passed my commercial written exam.

I contacted the examiner and he told me he has an opening next Sunday.  Like....6 days from now.  Gulp.

I took it.  But I also synched up with Bryan Reigal, one of my fellow prospective commercial pilots.  We're both scheduled for Sunday with the examiner and we're both pretty nervous about it.  Like, that sort of butterfly in your stomach-a little nauseous feeling you have when you're about to do something like bungee jump.

But it's now or never.  There's no question I know how to fly, I'm already a pilot.  I've knocked the rust off of my skills by flying as much as I can lately and I've been practicing to the Practical Test Standards that are published by the FAA.  I'll go flying tomorrow afternoon with my instructor and we'll practice for the test.

I *know* I can do it.  The real question is whether I manage to demonstrate that on the day of the test.  We'll see.  Until then, I am on pins and needles studying, prepping, and worrying.

Oh yeah, the weather Sunday is calling for a South wind of about 9 knots, which can cause all kinds of issues like extended takeoff roll, less effective ailerons as you take off with a tail wind and big sink on final approach.  In my note to the examiner I mentioned that if it was a strong wind I might need to reschedule.

More likely, what will happen is it will be *kind* of strong, making the decision gut-wrenching.

I'll post on my progress with my instructor later this week.

No comments: